Tuesday, November 14, 2006

New Gay Frenzy for Carol Channing

Yes, I'm a self-styled Carol Channing expert, but I don't want to hear any stupid jokes about corn, and I'm not so thrilled about having to cover the "Carol Hates Fags" scandal that's shimmying out of control, either. A recap: A gay paper in Ohio ran an interview in which Carol seemed to say she doesn't think about her gay fans and to imply that she believes the Bible condemns gays. After hanging up, says the interviewer, Carol became irate and canceled all of her other local interviews. Her slow-acting publicist has now refuted the story, name-checking Carol's pal Mr. Blackwell and flat-out calling the interviewer a liar. Carol's story sounds credible (and the burden of proof isn't on her), but what if it wasn't? From the furious howls in the comments sections of various blogs, you might be surprised how many homosexuals' psyches were held together by their understanding of Carol's personal beliefs!

No comments: