I kept following Spike. You couldn't miss him in his white tennis shirt, white pants, squeaky clean sneakers and diamond stud in the left ear, which, although Lord knows I don't want to make trouble, was larger than [wife] Tanya's, even though she had two. I dogged the guy so closely that somebody stopped me just as I was padding into the men's room.
"I shot 500 hours," said a relieved Spike after exiting the men's room. "I made 15 trips here. Did the research here. Recorded the music here. Ate the great food here, although I was careful to watch my weight because the cuisine is so great that you can't help notice there is a high level of obesity in the area.
"However much this horrific piece of history took out of me, whatever I felt was nothing compared to what those I filmed went through. And although you don't see me doing those interviews, all the people on screen telling their story were telling it to me. See, I had the advantage of being known. They know me from courtside at the Knicks games, from my movies, TV. It makes things quicker. They're open to me. It cuts through the bull - - - -. I told them, 'Forget about the crew, the camera, everyone around. Talk to me. You and I, we're having a conversation.'
"Judy Aley, my great researcher, made two trips before I even got down. She met many of the people. Didn't even know them. Just walked amongst them. And she would e-mail me their stories. No pictures. Just their stories. I started down here the day after Thanksgiving, but in October I was already shooting the evacuees at the hotels around JFK."
A pause. Followed by: "I know this sounds cliché, but this movie gave me strength. It made me grateful that I'm sound in body and mind. And that my loved ones are safe."
Thursday, August 17, 2006
Cindy Adams Cracks Me Up
Aside from the Lady Bunny herself, there's no one who'll go for a dumber laugh than the New York Post's gut-busting glamorpuss columnist, Cindy Adams. Today, she writes about Spike Lee's new Hurricane Katrina documentary:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Cindy Adams knows who Spike is?
Waiting for dumb laugh.
"I shot 500 hours," said a relieved Spike after exiting the men's room.
Post a Comment